Meetings Tuesday @ 9 pm
Westmoreland Lobby

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Indoor Air Raid

When we got back to school this semester, Ben (GALL VP) was already brewing with new ideas. As you might remember, it was Ben who came up with The Blanket Experiment, and shaped GALL as a platform for social experiments (pranks) in addition to poetry performance and street theatre.

His first idea (or at least the first idea that I thought was feasible/good) was to throw a whole bunch of paper airplanes on an unsuspecting public. I distinctly remember a mischievious smile creeping over my face when he told me about it.

I decided that we should up the ante with this one by creating a conspiracy theory to go along with it. I hoped that we could drum up some anticipation. I hadn't counted on the lack of resources and people to get the job done. Had it been for children in Honduras, maybe we could have gotten the people power.

After two meetings, we had accrued two boxes of 95 paper airplanes (total, not each).

I like pleasure spiked with pain

Even though we had a few fliers, handouts and a website in the works, we decided (I conceded) that the conspiracy theory was a bad idea and that we should just launch the fucking things.

So, we decided to table at the Nest on Friday from 11-1 and launch at 12.

It's like Pearl Harbor, 1941

Across the lobby from our table was the table for PRISM's Day of Silence. As we threw them down, they began to get irritated with us. I commented to a GALL comrade that I didn't think they liked us very much. She responded, "Well, I don't like their dating service."

Point taken.

After the first air raid the ground was littered with a multicolor carpet of miniature aviatory machines. As we looked over the balcony, we decided that we should probably do it a second time

View from the balcony

So we did.

After the second raid, we packed up the planes back into their two boxes, and finished out the hour.

I think, since Chris made it, I should put the flier for the indoor air raids up here:

Chris Goulait ftw!

--Mike Isaacson, GALL President

No comments: